Do you love money? Would you like to know the secrets of making money?
Napoleon Hill gives you the master key to success with his amazing money-making philosophy. For twenty years he interviewed and studied the most successful people of his time, and wrote the book “Think & Grow Rich”, where he provides a philosophy that anyone can abide by. Andrew Carnegie, Napoleon Hill’s mentor and one of the four tycoons that helped build America in the 19th century, said that “there is a power greater than poverty, greater than the lack of education, greater than all of your fears and superstitions combined; it is the power to take possession of your mind and direct it to whatever you desire.”
In his book he explains that in this world we are given the equivalent of two sealed envelopes.
The first is labeled the riches you may enjoy if you take possession of your own mind, and direct it to ends of your own choice.
The second is labeled the penalties you must face if you neglect to take possession of your mind.
Each of these envelopes have different contents inside of them. The first is full of blessings, while the other is full of a flock of evils. In order to be blessed with the contents of the first envelope, you must learn to take control of your mind. It is essential to what he tries to emphasize because if you do not control your mind then it will automatically fill itself with the contents in the second envelop. Remember that the mind is one of the greatest powers we were born with, and we have full control of it so direct it towards positive thoughts.
The Riches You May Enjoy
The Penalties You Must Face
|1 Sound Health||1 Ill Health|
|2 Peace of Mind||2 Fear & Worry|
|3 Labor of Love of Your Own Choice||3 Indecision & Doubt|
|4 Freedom From Fear & Worry||4 Frustration & Discouragement Throughout Life|
|5 A Positive Mental Attitude||5 Poverty & Want|
|6 Material Riches of Your Own Desire & Quantity||6 Envy, Greed, Jealousy, Anger, Hatred & Superstition|
This is the main idea of his book, but he also provides you with 13 out of his 17 success principles from his other book “The Keys to Success” to aid you in achieving your dreams.
- Definiteness of purpose – Write down a clear description of what you want most in life on a sheet of paper and on the back of it write a clear statement of what you intend to give back in return. Ex) “I want to become the greatest artist this world has ever seen.” (Front) “I will give people around the world my beautiful work through street art, canvases and be flexible enough to create custom art work.” (Back)
- The mastermind principle – Form a mastermind bond with at least one person in your immediate family, and at least one person going after the same goal in life. It is important to work in perfect harmony with the people in your mastermind group. He says that “what you can do in one year with this principle, you would not be able to do alone in a lifetime.”
- The habit of going the extra mile (doing it in a positive mental attitude) – He created a formula called the QQMA formula. QQMA – The Quality of service you render + the Quantity of service you render + the Mental Attitude in which you render your service = the space you occupy in your chosen calling and the compensation for your services.
- Applied faith – Belief is the beginning of all success so start by believing in yourself. And it is important to understand that we must cultivate and maintain applied faith before we gain complete control of our minds. With this mental attitude you can eliminate all fears and doubts and use it to the attainment to whatever you desire. “Believe and you shall receive.”
- A pleasant personality – Your personality is one thing that distinguishes you from all other human beings, and it determines if people are attracted to you or shy away from you. It is important that you are sincere in all relations. And remember that every character trait that goes into your personality is under your control
- Self-Discipline – Gain mastery over your tongue by thinking before speaking and making sure that what you say benefits you and/or those around you. Practice self-discipline over all emotions especially fear, love, hate and sex (the most powerful of all emotions). And also make sure that your stomach is disciplined by following a diet.
- Positive mental attitude – Every morning condition your mind so that you will keep it positive under all condition. You will face adversity, defeat and failure, but look at life as a continuous means of education as all of your experiences will bring wisdom. Napoleon gives great advice and suggest that you should start off your morning with one minute a heartfelt laughter, and make it a habit to laugh whenever you become irritated or angry.
- Enthusiasm – This is such a crucial trait, especially for leaders, as words spoken without enthusiasm can be ineffective. If you are like me and need help with enthusiasm, he suggest that you read out loud for ten minutes daily and put all the enthusiasm in your command into the reading. Take note that enthusiasm is an expression of a positive mental attitude.
- Personal initiative – This is the habit of making your own decisions and following through with them, and if anything were to go wrong make sure to take full responsibility for it.
- Learning from past failures – We all fail, and for the most part the most successful people are the ones who had the courage to keep on trying even after numerous amounts of failures. What we can take from this is that you must learn from your failures and transmute them into assets, which can be used for future success.
- Create vision – Everyday you must use your imagination to help create your vision. It may be a challenge especially if you have no idea where to start, but if you follow all the other principles it will begin to naturally exercise itself.
- Accurate Thinking – Separate facts from fiction, fiction would be anything that is an opinion. Most opinions are not valuable because they come from bias and are not based off truth, therefore you can disregard them in your thought process. If you ever have doubts on what someone claims to be a fact, such as rumors, just ask the source directly “how do you know?”.
- Cosmic Habit Force – You are what you are because of your habits. Basically you are going to tend to do things that are most natural with what your habits are associated with. For example, a person who loves to read is naturally going to find situations, where they are needed for analytical skills or enjoy being at a library more than a person who loves to go to the gym. The gym enthusiast will most likely find themselves in situations of hard labor or protecting people. This is not to say that you can’t be a well rounded individual and become the next President!
Napoleon Hill does a great job of explaining each principle by giving numerous examples and by providing exact steps of how you can dominate these principles, and ultimately reach your definition of success! Below is a full video of Napoleon Hill’s Think & Grow Rich. It is not the actual book, but it says everything you need to know in two hours compared to the actual ten hour book (also on YouTube).
I’d like to end this post with a couple of Napoleon Hill’s quotes.
“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.”
“The difference between a successful person and a failure is a successful persons capacity for belief.”
“The only real limitation is the one you accept and set up in your own mind.”
“Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.“
“Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure.”
“A goal is a dream with a deadline.”